A little fact readers may not know about is my mum comes from Liverpool which has given me the chance to visit the amazing city practically every year since I was a child. Over the past few years I tend to try and get there a couple of times a year to visit family so I’ve definitely experienced lots of different aspects of the city. Here are some of my top things to do in Liverpool, ranging from cultural activities to those all important Beatles venues!
1. Beatles Museum – This is an obvious one for Beatles fans but I think even if you’re not a hardcore fan there’s something for everyone. I’ve been twice now and both times there have been families enjoying the exhibition, children seem to love the Yellow Submarine themed room!
2. Tate Modern – I made the mistake of visiting the Tate with my cousin once, he hated every minute of it! Now the Tate is not for everyone, modern art doesn’t tickle everyone’s fancy but it’s definitely worth it to get some culture in you one afternoon, it won’t hurt 😉
3. Shopping in Liverpool One. Liverpool has one of the best shopping centres in the UK, I absolutely love it and I’m not really a shopping fanatic at all. So that must be saying something! There are also lots of restaurants to choose from in the shopping centre.
4. Magical Mystery Tour – Now this one may only be interesting to big Beatles fans. Jump on the Magical Mystery Tour at the Docks, it’ll take you on a tour of important locations in Beatles history; the lads childhood homes, Brian Epstein’s home, Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane and ends at The Cavern Club.
5. Enjoy the nightlife! Liverpool is one of the top places for a night out in the UK, the drinks are cheap (by London standards at least), the people are lovely and there are so many bars to choose from you’l be spoilt for choice! For my next visit, I’ve got my eyes on The Florist .
6. Head up St. John’s Beacon and see Liverpool from above! Tickets are available here.
7. World Museum – oh i do love a good museum, the history geek in me gets excited seeing historical portraits and sculptures. Don’t even get me started on those marble busts :’).There are so many museums to choose from if the World Museum doesn’t take your fancy
8. Take the infamous ferry across the Mersey. You can’t visit Liverpool without jumping on the ferry!
9. Co-ordinate your trip around any number of the amazing live events that take place. There are so many great live venues across Liverpool, big and small.
10. The Beatles Story is a great museum covering the early days of the fab four right up to their solo careers. Even if you’re not a massive fan of The Beatles you can’t visit Liverpool without taking a look at music history!
I initially planned on featuring 5 things to do in Liverpool but there is so much more to do I had to extend it to 10 which still doesn’t cover all of the great things the city has to offer!
Keep up to date with my travels over on Instagram!